Lifeline is a government program that offers qualified people a discount on their monthly local telephone or broadband bill. The program is available for both Peoples Rural Telephone and Peoples Telecom customers that meet the criteria established by the Federal Communications Commission and Kentucky Public Service Commission.
Enrollment in Lifeline provides the following benefits:
- Waiver of a monthly universal service fee.
- Reduction in monthly residential line charge.
- Free toll blocking service and unlimited calls to local numbers.
- Options to subscriber to a variety of toll plans to meet your calling needs
Learn More About Lifeline
What Programs Are Available to Assist Low-Income Consumers?
The Lifeline program is available to assist low-income consumers with their telecommunications and/or broadband needs.
What is the Lifeline Program?
The Lifeline program was designed to preserve and promote access to voice and broadband services to qualified low-income households. The program provides a monthly discount on qualifying services. The combined federal and state discount in Kentucky is up to $12.75 per month for phone service and $9.25 for broadband only lines.
How is the Lifeline Program Funded?
Lifeline service is funded through fees collected from telecommunications carriers.
Federal rules limit each household to one Lifeline discount:
Only one lifeline service is permitted per household. That includes lifeline services you may get from other providers.
Who May I Contact With Questions?
Contact the business office of Peoples Rural Telephone Cooperative with any questions you may have about the Lifeline program.
Contact Peoples Rural Telephone Cooperative for enrollment details.
You must be able to provide proof of participation in a qualifying program or show that you meet the income guidelines.
How do I apply?
To apply for Lifeline call (606) 287-7101. You will be asked to provide proof of your eligibility by providing a copy of a document that verifies that you participate in any of the programs mentioned above. Your Lifeline benefits will take effect when proof of eligibility is received.
You are eligible to enroll in the Lifeline program if you participate in one of the following:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Federal Public Housing (FPHA)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefits
- Tribal Programs (and live on federally-recognized Tribal lands)
- Your household income is at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines.